Having printed a rectangular version of my original Green Man drawing, I returned to the basic face shape, cutting a new lino block with a view to printing a triptych version. The colours used are blue, green and red (with a black, green and red version also available) for no other reason than those are the only colours of ink I currently have left!
To celebrate the first birthday of a very special little girl (my first grand daughter) I created this print. It is from an original, observational drawing I made of a rose, planted in our garden shortly before Rosie was born.
I decided to return to the original drawing I made of a Green Man and use it for a Lino print. Having printed it onto paper, I again tried it on a t-shirt where I think it looks good. The ones seen here are red on white for a child-size shirt and black on khaki for an adult sized shirt.
Using a Lino block and the ‘reduction’ technique, these are the completed Drop Box design on a t-shirt.
After seeing how successful the ‘flattening’ of my Green Man image was in developing a t-shirt design, I revisited one of my much earlier sculptures (‘Drop Box’) to see if that would work too. As before, I put the photograph into the Sketch Book App on the iPad and drew around the image before experimenting with filling in the shapes using the fill tool. Above are the resulting images – I think they’ll look pretty good on a t-shirt.
Having printed my Green Man design on paper, I decided to try putting it on one of the most common places logos are seen – items of clothing. Using the same Lino blocks as before, I printed the design on white and grey t-shirts. Although the registration wasn’t entirely accurate, I feel the slight off-set really adds to the image. Taking the clothing idea one step further, I went to ‘Rotherham Embroidery’ located in Rotherham Indoor Market that specialises in printing and embroidery. I bought a Harrington jacket and, after a few discussions, they embroidered the design onto the breast. I have since had quite a few positive comments about the design.
The two print layers are now completed. I initially tried to produce a ‘clean’ print with no evidence of the cutting being shown. However, having made some mistakes at the inking stage, thus showing some of the cut lines, I decided to intentionally include them in the final print. As seen in the pictures, they add a certain, appropriate ‘feel’ to the final image, seemingly more organic. I am happy with the framed print.
Having noticed ivy wrapping itself around a nearby garden fence, I tried adding something similar to my Green Man logo image. Again using the Sketch Book App, I coloured the image to evoke certain seasons of the year: (from left to right) Spring/Summer, Autumn and Winter.
Here are the first prints of the main colour block, drying on the line!
Click on the captions to watch the videos.