At last, with schools starting again, I’m back in the studio with all my necessary equipment and have spent the past two days, happily getting inky fingers and printing. I had a few anxious minutes (well, about an hour really) where I didn’t think I could do it anymore – nothing was going right, smudged prints, blotchy prints, dirty fingerprints on the white card – but eventually, I got into the swing of things and managed to produce some prints I was happy with. These are both on cards – the Drummer Boy is on 7″ x 5″ card, whilst the ‘Union” print is on A5 cards in either green or black.
Tag: block printing
This was mainly completed as an exercise in lino multi-block registration, but I am pretty pleased with the outcome. The registration isn’t perfect on all of the prints, but I managed to pull off enough copies to make it worthwhile!
I do feel I am now tying up a few loose ends with the Green Man theme. I am really happy with the way the digital drawings turned out, but still need to complete a Lino-cut I started some time ago. Whilst undoubtedly it will not match the precision of the digital work, it will have a certain “workman-like” quality to it, with all the little flaws and imperfections that a “real” print has. I’m pleased with it so far – let’s see how it turns out!
Green Man Triptych
Having printed a rectangular version of my original Green Man drawing, I returned to the basic face shape, cutting a new lino block with a view to printing a triptych version. The colours used are blue, green and red (with a black, green and red version also available) for no other reason than those are the only colours of ink I currently have left!
To celebrate the first birthday of a very special little girl (my first grand daughter) I created this print. It is from an original, observational drawing I made of a rose, planted in our garden shortly before Rosie was born.
The two print layers are now completed. I initially tried to produce a ‘clean’ print with no evidence of the cutting being shown. However, having made some mistakes at the inking stage, thus showing some of the cut lines, I decided to intentionally include them in the final print. As seen in the pictures, they add a certain, appropriate ‘feel’ to the final image, seemingly more organic. I am happy with the framed print.
Blocks One and Two
These are the completed Lino blocks for printing the Green man logo. The first will be for the red areas (or any other dominant colour) whilst the outline will be in black. Both are seen here in reverse, ready to print. I always take care to try and ensure the pattern left in my cutting is pleasing enough to be possibly included in the print.
Back On The Lino
Having made enquiries about the costs involved in printing my Green Man logo, I have decided to do it myself – if only for now. In a method that is slightly different from what I have done previously, I am intending to make three Lino blocks, one for each colour and then print them onto both paper and fabric. This is the beginning of the first block – the reds.