Loose Ends?

I do feel I am now tying up a few loose ends with the Green Man theme. I am really happy with the way the digital drawings turned out, but still need to complete a Lino-cut I started some time ago. Whilst undoubtedly it will not match the precision of the digital work, it will have a certain “workman-like” quality to it, with all the little flaws and imperfections that a “real” print has. I’m pleased with it so far – let’s see how it turns out!

Light Box – Night Light

Using a laser cutter, I cut out the re-vamped Green Man design from MDF with a view to creating a light box. The box is filled with ‘Fairy Lights’ that reflect from the crinkled foil background, casting a faint but noticeable pattern on the surface the box stands on. It was always intended as a child’s night light.

Four Seasons of Man

Using the SketchBook app on my iPad, I reimagined the modern Green Man design, using colours and (in the case of Winter) more appropriate foliage to create a series based on the theme of the Seasons. From left to right, they are: Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter. I also used the Snapseed app to add texture and vignette.

Green Man Triptych

Having printed a rectangular version of my original Green Man drawing, I returned to the basic face shape, cutting a new lino block with a view to printing a triptych version. The colours used are blue, green and red (with a black, green and red version also available) for no other reason than those are the only colours of ink I currently have left!

Rosie

To celebrate the first birthday of a very special little girl (my first grand daughter) I created this print. It is from an original, observational drawing I made of a rose, planted in our garden shortly before Rosie was born.

Flattened Drop Box

After seeing how successful the ‘flattening’ of my Green Man image was in developing a t-shirt design, I revisited one of my much earlier sculptures (‘Drop Box’) to see if that would work too. As before, I put the photograph into the Sketch Book App on the iPad and drew around the image before experimenting with filling in the shapes using the fill tool. Above are the resulting images – I think they’ll look pretty good on a t-shirt.

Final Prints

The two print layers are now completed. I initially tried to produce a ‘clean’ print with no evidence of the cutting being shown. However, having made some mistakes at the inking stage, thus showing some of the cut lines, I decided to intentionally include them in the final print. As seen in the pictures, they add a certain, appropriate ‘feel’ to the final image, seemingly more organic. I am happy with the framed print.